Laserfiche WebLink
Backgrouad: Cit>*-Owned Lakcsbore Lots oa Cr>stal Bay Road 10/16/03 Update <br />Sanmary ofluacs: The City has owned 4 lakeshorc tax parcels on Crysul Bay Road since they <br />were quit-claim deeded to Orono Township and accepted by the Town Board on December 1,1934. <br />These parcels arc on the lakeshore side of Crystal Bay Road In total they include approximately 180 <br />lineal feet of shoreline. The distance from the edge of the traveled road to the shore (929 4 contour) <br />ranges from just a few feet to as much as 20 feet <br />For many years, apparently, the 4 property ow ners across Crystal Bay Road from these parcels have <br />erected seasonal docks extending from the City parrels. Current staff has been aware of this since <br />the mid- 1990's. Due to a complexity of factors that will b described below, until recently staffhad <br />not taken formal action to have the docks eliminated. However, two circumstances in the spring of <br />2002 prompted staff to order removal of the dock and boat at the most w esterly ofthe parcels, across <br />from 3445 Crystal Bay Road. Th-%c circumstances w ere 1) submittal of a variance application survey <br />by the then owner of 3445 (Palm) that incorrectly included the City parcel across from it; and 2) <br />complaints by neighboring property owners about rental of slips at the 'illegal' dock recently erected <br />across from 3445. <br />The issues presented to the City Council for consideration at a July 30.2002 w ork session included: <br />1) whether Council supports staff taking appropriate action, including litigation if necessary, to have <br />the offending uses and docks removed from the City parcels; and <br />2) determination of the City's ultimate intent for these 4 parcels. <br />Hbtorical Background <br />t907 • trUeys Park planed. The City parcels are parts of 4 lots originally created by the plat of <br />Wiley's Park in 1907. That plat dedicated a 66' wide right-of-way for the old County Road that <br />follow ed the route of w hat is today Crystal Bay Road. Those 4 lots w ere bisected by the 66' right-of- <br />way, leaving a small strip along the shoreline side of the right-of-w ay (Sec Attachment A). <br />1911 deed - created •^bathing and boating rights ". In 1911. a number of lots in the neighboring plat <br />of Navarre were transferred from one owner to the next, via a deed that also granted to those Navarre <br />lots "a perpetual right to use for bathing and boating purposes" the portions of Lots 1-4. Block I. <br />Wiley ’s Park lying betw een the north line of the County Road and the shoreline. This right of use <br />was also reserved for other lots within the plats of Wiley ’s Park, Navarre Heights, Navarre, and <br />Block lOofLangdon Park. Undercurrent ownership patterns, this could mean that as many as 100- <br />150 properties in the Navarre area might have “bathing and boating" rights over what eventually <br />became the City parcels.