Laserfiche WebLink
CMP Part 2. Community Management Plan Foundation <br /> Table 2-1: IMPORTANT DATES IN ORONO HISTORY <br /> 1803 The Louisiana Purchase: U.S.acquires 828,000 square miles of land from France for about 3C an acre <br /> 1822 W. J. Snelling and Joe Brown explore the upper reaches of Minnehaha Creek and sight Lake <br /> Minnetonka <br /> 1851 Treaty of Traverse des Sioux opens lands west of Mississippi for settlement; ratified by U.S. Senate in <br /> 1852 <br /> 1852 Hennepin County organized;first township surveys conducted <br /> 1853 First settlers arrive in what is now Orono: Rev. Stephen Hull at 'The Narrows'; Stephen Bean of <br /> Maine at north shore of Stubbs Bay; John Carman at Spring Park; James and Francis Maxwell on <br /> Maxwell Bay. <br /> 1855 Arrival of many settlers in the Orono and Long Lake area: David Lydiard, Eleazer Dickey and Miles <br /> Bayer, all of Nova Scotia; the Edwin Turnham and George Maxwell families settle in Medina; the <br /> French,Fox and Fogelman families bring first horses to region;John Carman filed first subdivision in <br /> Orono, "Town of Tazaska" for land lying between North Arm, Forest Lake, West Arm and Crystal <br /> Bay, on May 3, 1855 <br /> 1856 First sawmill in Orono on the Watertown Road, erected by Long Lake founder George Knettle; <br /> 'Tamarack' Post Office begun at home of Henry Stubbs; first stageline extended through Orono <br /> to Irvin Shrewsbury's corner in Independence <br /> 1858 Minnesota becomes 32nd state <br /> 1860 The Governor Ramsey, built by Charles Galpin, becomes first steamboat on Lake Minnetonka; many <br /> area roads surveyed by B.F. Christlieb, including "Harrington Road" (now Ferndale Road); final year <br /> that Chief Shakopee and his band of Sisseton Dakota winter at Teepee Hill (Union Cemetery). <br /> 1861 Union Cemetery Association formed <br /> 1863 First church in area, Presbyterian Church of Medina,formed in the Old North (Lydiard)School, <br /> near Wolsfeld Lake. <br /> 1868 Railroad reaches Long Lake; land on north shore of Lake Minnetonka annexed from Excelsior <br /> township to Medina township <br /> 1870 Joel Stubbs patents sorghum processing unit, replacing wheat as major crop for a decade <br /> 1873 First dredging and widening of'Hull's Narrows'opens upper lake for navigation <br /> 1880 George A. Brackett purchases'Starvation Point'from Nathan Stubbs,renames it'Orono Point'after <br /> boyhood home in Maine;Saga Hill colony begun on north shore of North Arm <br /> 1882 James J. Hill's spur line to Minnetonka Beach opens in conjunction with grand opening of Hotel <br /> Lafayette in June, 1882, helping to make Lake Minnetonka an internationally known resort <br /> destination; development grew up around the railroad stops such as Crystal Bay and Navarre <br /> 1884 Areas of Minnetonka Beach, Navarre and Spring Park added to Medina Township <br /> 1889 Town of Orono formed from parts of Medina and Excelsior Townships <br /> 1894 Village of Minnetonka Beach formed <br /> 1898 Formation of Minnetonka Fruit Growers Association <br /> 1906 Village of Long Lake incorporated,first telephone lines begun <br /> City of Orono Community Management Plan 2020-2040 Part 2, Page 5 <br />